Saturday, April 21, 2007

April 19, 2007 - Checking the Gate

My last day on-set (and the last officially scheduled day of my internship). The show’s filming schedule had already been extended to Friday, but I requested that day off. They were slated to shoot until 6 or 7 in the morning Saturday, and there’s no way I could pull that off and pack and enjoy the city a little more before leaving Sunday.

We were back in the Lower East Side, returning to the apartments used last week. Most of the day was comprised of interior shots within a tenement building, with a few outdoor scenes at the end of the day. To me, the most interesting thing about the shoot was their exterior lighting. As the outdoor scenes were shot (late) at night, they blew up two huge helium balls (China Bulbs, as the crew calls them), with a light bulb inside.

In preparation for the end of the episode, catering cooked up a wonderful feast for the crew – turkey, stuffing, yams, dressing, cranberries, and all the fixings. Of course, as the night was only half over, turkey might not have been the best thing to serve to an already tired crew. By the time they wrapped at 3:00am, everybody was pretty much done for. Luckily for me, I was able to sleep-in on Friday…prepare for one last fling with the city.

As the 1st AD says at the end of the night, “Cut! Checking the Gate… And, on the good gate, that’s a wrap. Thank you, everybody.” My internship with Law & Order: Criminal Intent has officially drawn to a close. Where has time gone?

No comments: