Friday, February 23, 2007

February 22, 2007 - Chopsticks

My first day in the Art Department. I'll admit I don't much care for the idea of getting up early, but I can tell they'll be a fun bunch to work with. When I came in, a group of people were sitting around the table, eating scrambled eggs and bacon and swapping humorous anecdotes. Nicole, the department coordinator, said to dig in, but I'd already eaten. She had me run an errand - go to a camera place to retrieve a lens. On the way back, I picked up a coffee and cookie from Paradise Cafe. Nicole chided me for this, not because I made a personal stop (don't be silly), but because I was eating a cookie for breakfast (I had a bagel, fruit, and Crème of Wheat. I'm fine).

When I got back, I ordered lunch and worked on a little assignment from Nicole. She had me highlight everything in the current shooting script I thought the Art Department handled. Afterward, I compared it to the list the Production Designer Les had written. I picked up on the usual stuff (faxes, photos, and printed matter), but a few things surprised me. For example, Les noted that Art was responsible for a computer and stereo system, something I thought Props handled. Nicole explained that the responsibilities can sometimes become blurred between departments. If an actor uses the computer during the episode - that is, if it's actually scripted, then it would furnished by Props. But, since it's just background clutter, Art takes care of it. Interesting. Using that logic, would faxes and the like become Props, once handled? As I said, it's murky.

For lunch, I ordered spicy pork chops, from Republic. The meal came with chopsticks, but I opted for a fork and knife. I've used chopsticks once or twice while here, but would hardly call myself proficient. When I told Nicole about my lack of skill in this matter, she was so surprised, she spilled green sauce all over herself. Then, she promptly informed me that I was going to learn how to use them. She wadded up a piece of paper, put it between the chopsticks and rubber banded them together, effectively fool proofing them. It worked. By the end of the meal, I was eating rice with them. I have to say I prefer normal utensils, as eating is too leisurely an activity with chopsticks. I take after my dad and prefer to eat like a racehorse.

1 comment: