Monday, February 5, 2007

February 5, 2007 - Lunch Special

Why don’t I start with lunch? I ordered an onion and mushroom burger, but it would be a good long while before I’d get to eat it. The day started slow, but promised to pick-up in preparation for the 2pm episode read-through with the cast. I perused another script, printed sensationalistic death stories from the New York Times online. Carmen brought my meal at 1:00, but a passing glance was all I got to see.

Leslie called me up front to help Tom fetch catering for the read-through. This time, they ordered from an Italian place. After we got back, I helped arrange the buffet table in the conference room, now prepared to hold on my lunch until after the meeting (Carmen said I could sit-in). About quarter ‘til 2, Kate sent me on another errand. She needed me to deliver a couple scripts to Warren, as he was not able to attend the meeting in person.

The front office sent me with some money to Warren’s house. On the way, I asked the driver if he could wait for a few seconds, while I delivered it the package. He looked at me, then kept driving, which I took as a “yes.” However, when I got there, he said he’d already stopped the meter. Rude. At any rate, I ended-up walking to the cross-street and hailing another cab. This guy was markedly nicer. It cost $5.30, so I gave him $7.00 – or so I thought. I apparently gave him $11 by mistake. So, he pulled back over to the curb, told me I over-tipped him and gave me back a $5. I tried giving him another dollar tip, but he wouldn’t take it. Good to know there are still pleasant people out there.

I’m glad I got to attend a read-through. I was a little hesitant about sitting-in, as the meeting was already in-progress when I got back. I’m passive and don’t like to interrupt, but Carmen pushed me in. The read-through is just what it sounds like – the writers, producers, assistant directors, and cast sit down and flip through the script to get a feel for it and see if there are any glaring errors. I especially enjoyed Eric Bogosian’s (Captain Ross) reading, as he put a great deal of inflection into it. I could actually picture him performing it on-screen.

Following the read-through, I ate some of the leftovers from the meeting. I had some veal, calamari and potatoes. It was my second time eating squid and I can honestly say I enjoyed it as much as the first (read: not at all). I’m not fond of the consistency. It’s like eating cartilage. Breaded, it tasted like clams, which I’d prefer eating over this.

I saved my hamburger for later and what a disappointment that was! I expected an onion and mushroom burger and got an undercooked ranch and pepper jack burger with bacon…on bread, no less! Oh well.

No comments: