Friday, February 9, 2007

February 8 & 9, 2007 - Baby Vomit

Thursday: My last day in the writing office was a busy one, albeit not particularly exciting. I spent the first couple hours of the day researching for a future episode. As per usual, I can’t say what I was looking into, but I think that, depending on how it’s written, this could be a great (bizarre) story.

In the early afternoon, I attended a production meeting, in which the heads of every department gathered together to see what exactly is needed for an upcoming episode – background, props, locations, etc. Kate said these meetings can run three hours, but this one was only an hour and a half. I took meticulous notes for her, but I doubt they were of much use (I’m a lefty with crappy handwriting and a bad case of carpel tunnel).

I did a lot of copying – duplicating the article’s I’d printed, printing scripts for the meeting, and making copies of a previous episode and collating them by color revision. The end of my day was spent finishing the organizing project I’d started for Leslie yesterday. I could have gone home at 6, especially since I was almost done, but decided to go the extra mile. I was still there at 7:30, so Tom suggested I stay and order dinner. I didn’t have much left to straighten up, but I wasn’t about to turn down free food.

Friday: Casting has wonderful hours for their interns (this department frequently hires interns). While I may have to come in at 9:30 once in awhile, they won’t usually need me in until 11. It’s nice to get that extra hour of sleep.

The current intern, Aubrey, has been there about a week. As the space in the 2-room casting office is limited, we share a desk. Kim and Ann gave us several projects, but casting, like waiting, is a lot of stop and go. Not that I wasn’t busy. Kim started me out by having me organize agency photographs by age. As the submissions’ resumes don’t have ages, I had to guesstimate. The subjectivity made me feel shallow, but such is the nature of the business.

For lunch, I ordered a taco salad from Taco Bandito. I love their salads. They’re quite generous, come in a taco bowl, and are cheap. I had enough left from my $10 budget to order two soft shell tacos. I put those in the fridge to save for dinner. The rest of the day, Aubrey and I switched back and forth on the Macbook, entering the names listed on audition tapes and DVDs into a database. Ann let us go at 6.

I forgot to bring my tacos with me; realized it a block from the office. I didn’t feel like going back and decided to finish the split pea soup I had the other night. I heated it in the microwave for 90 seconds. The bowl was scalding hot, but the soup was still cold. Reaching up to put it back to nuke it some more, it slipped out of my hands, spilling all over the adjacent wall, counter, and floor. That was a fun clean-up project. Looked like baby vomit.

No comments: