Friday, January 19, 2007

January 19, 2007 - The Match Game Set - A.K.A. The Subway Train

I had a short day at the office. Carmen had me come in at 9:30. Kate showed me around the writing department, explained what everybody does. The menus were passed around at 11. I decided to try Japanese food and ordered sushi rolls and miso soup. At 11:30, the producers, directors, writers and people from several departments gathered for what is called a concept meeting. Basically, they take a rough (concept) draft from a future episode and discuss the sets and props they need and read the lines aloud to see how they sound. I sat in on that until 1, when I had to get ready for orientation at 30 Rockefeller Center.

My first subway experience was, um…doable, I suppose. Mary Grace and Terence each sent me out with two dollars for the bus and subway rides there and said to get a Metro Card. Everybody gave me different directions to get there, so I was certain I’d never find my way. I took Tsahai and Terence’s suggestions and went on the train with the orange circle (ended-up being the F train, but they couldn’t remember the name). The subway itself was dark and depressing, but not unsafe. The air, surprisingly was well filtered and didn’t smell stale.

I bought a $20 Metro Card and got an extra $4 for free. Each bus/subway ride is $2, so it should last me a little while. They have rotating gates to get in, much like the entrances to theme parks. You swipe your Metro Card and they unlock. It took me a moment to figure out that you swipe the card to the right and use the gate to the left and stood there wondering why the gate wasn’t unlocking. It took a few minutes for the F train to arrive, but it was really quite fast. It rushed in with a huge burst of air. The train itself was 70s retro, complete with Match Game-style orange seats.

I brought my lunch with me, as I didn’t have time to eat it at the office. I managed to eat the miso soup on the bus ride to the subway, but didn’t get around to the sushi. Unfortunately, I didn’t have an opportunity until the end of orientation, which was around 4, and I wasn’t sure if it was safe to eat at that point, as it’d been unrefrigerated for several hours. I decided it was probably better to air on the side of caution and pass on eating it. I’ll try sushi again at some point next week.

After orientation, I stopped by the mall beneath Rockefeller Center. I went there on my last trip to New York and walked around Waldenbooks. I was disappointed to find that store was no longer there. I went to the Game Stop store for a few minutes, then took the subway back to my neighborhood.

Photo Album

1 comment:

Fay Vritwon said...

Congratulations! Looks like you have overcome some major hurdles today. Always err(air)on the side of caution when traveling on the subway and be prepared for unexpected odors from transient dwellers? Also it was a wise move to leave your sushi for the flies. ttyl