Tuesday, January 9, 2007

January 9, 2007 - Extended Day in the Office

Today was even more exhausting than yesterday, although significantly less stressful. After a few small tasks, Leslie showed me around the studio – the wardrobe, construction area, and set. She said she’d take me back in a few days when the new temporary sets were completed to show me how they’ve transformed. The main set was amazing. Seeing it made me giddy about the internship. If it weren’t for all the cameras and studio lights, I’d mistake it for a real building. The rest of the day was comprised of learning the basic day-to-day operations of the studio and, of course, answering the phone (including to Chris Noth). In addition, Leslie had me enter some data from several episodes into Excel, sort her recent receipts for purchases made on the corporate card, and see how daily video cuts are copied.

Lunchtime around the office always brings a flurry of commotion. The Office PAs (Tom, Liza, Tsahai) and I take peoples orders, divide them up, and call them in. A little while later, they’re delivered to the office, where we divvy them up by peoples’ rank (patience level). I got to know Tom and Terrence better throughout the day. As with Liza and Tsahai, they seem very personable and helpful.

Later in the evening, I completed some more Excel work and watched Tom go about his activities. He showed me how to make sides and call sheets, which are small copies of the scenes being shot the following day. After they’re finished, he takes the call sheets to peoples’ offices/workstations and puts them in the appropriate place.

All-told, today was a wickedly long day. Leslie had me there from 9:30 in the morning until 10:30 at night. She wanted me to stay to see how closing duties are performed.

No comments: