Monday, January 8, 2007

January 4, 2007 - Arrival

I arrived in NYC about noon. After getting my suitcases from the baggage claim, I headed to the taxi stand. There was an elderly man standing there, who offered to transport me for a flat rate of $55. I’m sure the cost was above average, but I wasn’t too excited about the prospect of hailing a cabbie (I’m not much for speaking-up). He was well worth the cost, though. He was friendly; although I had a hard time deciphering what he said (he spoke with a thick accent – possibly Romanian). He was also helpful with my luggage and carried my heavy suitcases, so I wouldn’t have to. I left him a 20% tip, which I’m sure was too much, but I felt he was worth it.

My apartment is quaint and cozy, even if it’s not as nice as I’d imagined. I wasn’t sure I’d like it at first, but I was just depressed about being so far away from everything and everybody I know. Once I got unpacked and went shopping, I started to feel a bit better about it. The building is situated between other buildings on a fairly dull street. I’m two doors down from a fire department, which is comforting, but noisy. It’s not as loud, however, as the raucous neighbors upstairs. I have no idea what they do up there, but it involves banging around throughout the day. It sounds like they’re moving furniture. Aside from that, I like my apartment. It has cable, DSL and, most importantly, a coffee pot. The elevator is a bit scary – a small red cubicle with a vinyl-tiled floor. It’s obviously quite old, because you have to open a heavy metal door to go inside.

I spent much of the day unpacking and relaxing. After shopping, I cleaned the shower, and all the silverware. I started to develop a sore throat, though, so I decided to slow down and take it easy. I played some video games and set-up my laptop and PS2. I went to bed around midnight and actually slept quite well (probably precipitated by the fact that I only got an hour and a half sleep the night before).

Photo Gallery

No comments: