Monday, January 8, 2007

January 8, 2007 - First Day in Production

My first day on-set. I debated whether or not to bring an umbrella. One was provided with the apartment, but I wasn’t sure if it was “in” for New Yorkers to carry one (my thought process is very odd, I know) and if they’d think I look ridiculous carrying a red umbrella. In the end, my sensibilities won over and I brought it, for which I’m glad, as it poured the entire day.

The first rotation is with the Productions office, headed by Leslie Gyson. She’ll be having me work there through next Wednesday, followed by the Writing department.

I arrived at the studio early – about 9:30am. Leslie greeted me and threw me right into work. I suppose that was the best way to do things, but it was certainly the most nerve-wracking. She gave me her company card, some cash, and a Metro Card and had me run to Staples for a couple of cartridges of some sort and to the Virgin Superstore for a rap CD, Hip Hop is Dead (humorous because, if you know me, I know nothing about rap). Meanwhile, a major news story broke out, after people throughout the city started smelling a heavy gas odor. We later found out it was a chemical leak from Jersey.

To get to Staples (22nd St. and 6th Ave.), I had to experience my first bus ride, which was…interesting. Public transportation certainly doesn’t provide for a very smooth ride. After picking up the cartridges, I walked over to Virgin 14th St. and 4th Ave. in Union Square. I was soaked by the time I got there, because I forgot my umbrella. Virgin requested photo I.D., so Tsahai in Leslie’s office had me go next door to Circuit City for the CD.

CD in-hand, I experienced my first taxi ride by myself. That was smoother than the bus, although I was completely confused as to how to leave a tip. After the cabbie gave me my the remainder back in the form of a $10, I had to explain to him I wanted change, so I could leave him a tip. It was certainly quite an ordeal.

The rest of the day in the office was spent in the Production Office answering phone calls and trying to figure out what to do amidst a chaotic office environment. Leslie was busy with a meeting for some of the time, so many of my questions were fielded by Liza and Tsahai, who were Office PAs. Both women were very helpful and friendly. I’m sure I’ll enjoy working with them. Liza showed me around the studio a little bit, but Leslie is going to show me everything more in-depth tomorrow.

I finished up around 6:45pm. Leslie said to show up at 9:30 in the morning. I think I’m more nervous than I was last night.

No comments: