Monday, January 29, 2007

January 29, 2007 - Extended Assignment

No sooner than I came into the office and prepared some breakfast, Warren approached me and said he was heading over to his other office to discuss Mary Grace’s new script with her and fellow writers Jackie and Siobhan. He invited me to take a cab with him and sit-in on the meeting.

Warren told me that the writing department would be busier over the next week, since Mary Grace (his assistant) was working on a script. So, he requested that I stay with them for another episode, as originally planned. I’m glad about that, actually, as I was just starting to get into the swing of things when Leslie called and told me I’d be moving to another department. Besides, it’s not like I’m not going to get to work with Art. I’ll be with them after my cycle with Casting (which will last 2 episodes).

When we got to his office, Warren sent me on an important mission: Starbucks for coffee! I’m not really a big fan. They’re too expensive and their coffee is uber-strong, but I’ll take a free jolt of caffeine wherever I can get it. The first time around, I had a Venti coffee with cream. Like I said, far too strong for my taste (although I’ve had worse). Later, I went on another coffee run and got a cinnamon dolce latte, as I enjoyed the (“free”) one I had the other day.

Back at the office, the dissection of Mary Grace’s new script was well underway. It was, I believe, MG’s first draft, so much of their talks were about how to trim it down. Most scripts are initially too long and need a weight loss treatment of sorts to bring them closer to the 45-minute (or thereabouts) requirement for airing. Each page of a script is divided into eighths, with one page being equivalent to one minute air time.

A read-through meeting was scheduled for 12:30 at the Piers, so Warren left before lunch. As per usual, we ordered pizza and salad from Waldy’s. After lunch, things were a bit quieter, as Mary Grace, Jackie, and Siobhan worked on script revisions. My job was to answer the phone, a somewhat rare occurrence today. In the mean time, I familiarized myself with the script MG is working on and read through some of the new book I bought on sitcom writing.

Late in the afternoon, Siobhan asked me to do some research for a potential future episode. I went on Warren’s Mac and Googled the requested information until about six, when MG said we could call it a night. I got home at 6:15, had a can of Progresso (lazy). Finally, Steve Staeger from Oakland University’s radio station called to do a phone interview with me. Keep an ear out for that on Friday!

It’s (almost) somebody’s birthday,
I wonder who?...
^_^

No comments: