Tuesday, January 23, 2007

January 23, 2007 - On Broadway

The big project I completed today was to move all the “sidesmaster” binders (contain complete scripts for an episode) from the writers’ area to an unused office, to clear up some space. Some new shelving was installed in the room for that very purpose. Other than that, I did several odd jobs around the office and help tidy up, but I feel somewhat awkward. There’s markedly less to do in the writing department than production, so I ended-up reading scripts or seeking work from production in my down time.

My real day started at six, of course. Ten or so people from CI came to see Marsha Norman’s play, The Color Purple. From what I’ve heard, it’s a successful Broadway musical that’s been on for more than a year. A small group and I from the office got together and walked to the subway and then to Broadway. Times Square is a completely environment than my downtown neighborhood. It’s crazy. I’ve never seen so many people crowded into such a small space. When I first arrived in New York, I thought there were a lot of people congregating on the sidewalk at all hours, but Times Square makes my area look sparsely populated and comfortable.

The musical was excellent. It was certainly a well put-on show; high budget, no doubt. I’ve seen musicals before, but nothing on this caliber. All the sets were electronically operated and didn’t require anybody to help move them, which kept things flowing nicely. The orchestra was wonderful, as were the speakers (which may have been a little too powerful, as I left with a slight headache). The choreography was amazing. It’s unbelievable how talented everybody was with dancing and singing. To have to do that day in and out is an unbelievable feat.

From what I understand, the winner of a previous American Idol attended tonight’s show and there was a big commotion surrounding that. I’ve never seen Idol, so I found it mildly amusing that people were getting so excited about catching a glimpse of this person.

Meanwhile, my leg, just above my ankle, recently began bothering me. I don’t know if I’ve just been walking too much or I sprained something, but it’s not pleasant. I can walk, but it’s not a terribly pleasant experience. It started hurting a little yesterday and got worse throughout the day today. Hopefully, it’ll start feeling better soon, but I can’t just stop walking if it doesn’t.

No comments: